X

Press Release | Job Quality Instant Report: Job Creation and Job Quality are up in November

December 06, 2019

Job Quality Instant Report: Job Creation and Job Quality are up in November

Total non-farm payroll employment rose by 266,000 jobs in November, substantially above the median market expectation of 185,000.

Within the private sector, goods-producing employment (mining and logging, construction, and manufacturing) increased by 48,000 jobs, while the service-providing sector created 206,000 new jobs. The gain in manufacturing jobs was aided by a bump from the 46,000 striking GM workers returning to work, in addition to those impacted on the supply chain.

The JQ-Instant Report shows a reading of 47.76. Of the 254,000 private sector jobs added in November, 52.24% were in high quality sectors and 47.76% were in low quality sectors. The reading is down from a spike of 83.31 in October. Likely that the October/November fluctuation is attendant to the GM workers leaving and re-entering.

The full JQ Instant report, including methodology, can be viewed here. The full explanation of the US Private Sector Job Quality Index can be found here


Showing 3 reactions

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
  • Jeffrey Sunnergren
    I think the numbers are interesting but my gut reaction is: “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” ― W.C. Fields. I read recently in a PEW survey that;To the extent that current economic conditions are helping particular groups, the public sees the benefits flowing mainly to the most well-off. Roughly seven-in-ten adults (69%) say today’s economy is helping people who are wealthy (only 10% say the wealthy are being hurt). At the same time, majorities of Americans say poor people, those without a college degree, older adults, younger adults and the middle class are being hurt rather than helped by current economic conditions. The business climate, i believe, is being held back by Hedge funds which buy businesses and cut wages as a means to pay back loans or businesses that outsource their manufacturing overseas because of cheaper and captive labor. Skilled and unskilled US labor is being hurt by these wage surpressing tactics
  • Ben Leet
    I took notes. The report for November I think says that average weekly income of 103 million nonsupervisory workers was $795 per week, which may also be $41,340 yearly. 55% of the jobs were low wage/ low hours paying $528.08 per week for 30 hours of work paying $17.60 an hour, and the yearly income is $27,300. The other 45% were high wage/ high hours paying $1,137 per week, or $59,124 yearly for working 38 hours a week at $29.92 an hour. The difference weekly is $609, and yearly it’s $31,824. In the pdf explanatory JQI publication the stated gap was $402 an hour. Now it’s 50% higher. I wonder if I’ve read this correctly, and I think it can and should be spelled out as I just did. I get the JQI monthly mark of 81. I’m asking for a comment to confirm of correct my reading, thanks. The Social Security Ad. report on wage income shows that 46% earn less than $30,000 and 75% earn less than $60,000. I’m trying to put the two groups into the earning percentile of full-time workers submitting W-2 forms. Take off the 20% roughly who are part-time low earners, the two average incomes may be 26th and 55th percentile. Maybe. Government workers, partial year workers, it’s impossible to say exactly. And then the pool is reduced and the percentiles float higher. Complex. https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2018 — Great invention JQI.
  • Jeffrey Sunnergren
    Were good for those looking for employment. The information should be broken down into sub-sections.
    Knowing that the congress is looking to pass a bill know as “Staple a green card to diploma” . Up until now foreign workers have kept down wage growth in STEM. That was the intent of NSF in the 1990’s. STEM students learn that there is no advancement in their field and so many move into Business degree programs. So with that in mind, what percentage of high quality jobs going to US citizens, average age of work force in that discipline and average salary.